Slammed shut

A South of South man is serving life in prison for killing his girlfriend.

By Amanda L. Snyder
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 0 | Posted Nov. 8, 2012

Share this Story:

Ameya Spratley did not pursue assault charges against her boyfriend, Keith Moore, which stemmed from a May 2009 incident, according to court records, at which time she would have been about two months pregnant. Moore, 23, was released from jail when the case was dismissed in November of that year, but two months later, the mother of his child was dead.

A jury convicted Moore, now 26, of murder, possession of an instrument of crime and abuse of a corpse Oct. 3, according to court records. He will spend the rest of his life at Camp Hill’s state prison.

Spratley, 28, of the 900 block of South 16th Street, went to her second-floor South of South apartment with the couple’s about 3-week-old son Jan. 11, ’10 to break up with Moore and inform him he had to move out of her apartment, Assistant District Attorney Deborah Nixon said.

“The sad thing about it was she had a heart,” Nixon said. “She was the kind of woman that she didn’t want to hurt him. She just wanted to get away with her dignity and raise her child.”

She had been living with family members because of fear upon his release, Nixon said. She told relatives where she was going and had planned to meet up with friends afterward. When no one had heard from her, friends and relatives questioned Moore, who had unexplained scratches on his neck. They continued to stake out the apartment and when Moore left to go to the store, they took his keys and entered the residence.

“They found the grizzly discovery of her body inside the closet partially clad and decomposing in the same room where the crib was,” Nixon said.

Police were called to the scene at 6:50 p.m. Jan. 12, ’10 and pronounced her dead 12 minutes later, police said.

Spratley’s throat was slit and she was orally raped and strangled at about 2 p.m. the previous day, but fought back, resulting in Moore’s scrapes, Nixon said. He also repeatedly stabbed her in the torso while she was unconscious.

Their son and her two other children, which are not Moore’s, are being cared for by relatives, Nixon said.

Contact Managing Editor Amanda L. Snyder at or ext. 117.

Also in October's Court Report :
DNA case breaker
Steered to jail

In this week's Police Report:
Gunman located
Teen tussle
Calling two robberies

Add to favoritesAdd to Favorites PrintPrint Send to friendSend to Friend



(HTML and URLs prohibited)