Bullets fly in Navy Yard

Police exchanged gunfire with a Cherry Hill man after he threatened to shoot two security guards and then trespassed onto the property.

By Lorraine Gennaro
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 0 | Posted Jun. 30, 2005

Share this Story:

The second time Joseph Canuso trespassed into the Naval Business Center on Sunday he was injured and arrested following a shootout with police.

The first time - Christmas Eve of last year - he vandalized a building with a sledgehammer, but was not arrested, said Sgt. Jim Schrack, of South Detective Division. The sergeant said he did not know why the 37-year-old Cherry Hill, N.J., resident was not charged in last year's incident.

Two officers from the police department's Traffic Unit - located in the Navy Yard - arrested Canuso Sunday after he opened fire on them shortly after he drove through a security checkpoint, Schrack said.

The suspect pulled up to the entrance at about noon and threatened to shoot two security guards unless they let him pass, according to Schrack. When the guards told Canuso he could not enter, he drove past them into the complex, at which time they notified police.

When police attempted to stop Canuso, he fired a black semi-automatic pistol at them, shattering the back windshield of their vehicle, Schrack said.

The unharmed officers returned fire, hitting Canuso in the foot and hand.

Canuso was apprehended after a brief car pursuit.

He was taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in stable condition.

Police charged him with two counts each of aggravated assault, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, possession of an instrument of crime, terroristic threats and one count of trespassing.

Canuso has no prior record, but he has a history of mental illness, police said.

Quarrel turns violent

An arrest is pending for a woman who allegedly hurled a pot at her live-in boyfriend and stabbed him half a dozen times with a steak knife.

The incident happened at about 7:30 p.m. on Monday inside the couple's home on the 1500 block of Bailey Street, said Detective Joe Chiaro, of South Detectives.

The couple was at a bar when the 42-year-old woman left to return home, police said. Her 42-year-old boyfriend stayed behind and met up with some friends, whom he later brought home, police said.

An argument broke out between the couple with the woman dumping the food that was cooking on the stove and hurling the pot at her boyfriend, police said. Then she allegedly grabbed a steak knife and stabbed him half a dozen times in the arms, legs, shoulder and back, Chiaro said, adding many of the cuts were 6-8 inch deep gashes.

The victim was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in stable condition.

The woman fled the location.

To report information, call South Detectives at 215-686-3013.

Page: 1 2 3 4 |Next
Add to favoritesAdd to Favorites PrintPrint Send to friendSend to Friend



(HTML and URLs prohibited)